Things You Will Need
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup borax
- Soft-bristled brush
- Lemon juice
Patio furniture cushions can form mold and become mildew stained from being outside and exposed to rain and humidity. Mold and mildew is unsightly and nobody wants to see it on their furniture, let alone sit on it.
Clean mold and mildew stains as soon as you see them starting to form. Likewise, be sure to check for any mold or mildew stains before storing your patio furniture for winter.
If the stains aren't cleaned, they will become permanent.
- Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar, 1/2 cup of borax and 2 cups of hot water into a small bucket. Mix well until the borax is dissolved.
- Gently scrub the mold and mildew stains with a soft-bristled brush.
- If the stains are stubborn, wet the mold or mildew stains with lemon juice and sprinkle borax onto the stains. Scrub with the soft brush.
- Mix a 50-50 solution of bleach and water if the other methods fail to remove the mold and mildew. Apply the solution to an inconspicuous area first to make sure the fabric can handle the bleach without fading.
- Allow the patio furniture cushions to thoroughly dry in the sun before storing them for the season.
Always test a hidden area with the cleaning solutions first for colorfastness. The quickest method is to power wash the furniture, but make sure your furniture can handle it.