Back Button

How to Increase the Flow of Water Into a Toilet Tank

Damon Koch

A toilet receives its water supply via a water supply hose, which is attached to the shut-off valve on the left side of the toilet near the floor. Over time, the water supply hose can become clogged with mineral deposits, or it may even become kinked in spots.

Water supply lines get clogged by mineral deposits.

These situations can restrict the flow of water, causing the toilet tank to fill more slowly. This problem can usually be repaired by installing a new water supply hose.

  1. Twist the knob or handle on the shut-off valve all the way clockwise to stop the supply of water to the toilet.

  2. Unscrew the water supply hose fitting on the shut-off valve. Turn the fitting counterclockwise, using the adjustable wrench. Loosen the fitting until you can remove it by hand.

  3. Detach the fitting on the other end of the water supply hose from the end of the flush valve sticking out of the bottom of the toilet tank. You may be able to remove this fitting by hand. If it is too tight, use a pair of slip-joint pliers to turn counterclockwise and remove the fitting. Dispose of the old water supply hose.

  4. Wrap Teflon tape around the threads on the end of the flush valve and the shut-off valve. The tape will help seal the connection once the water supply hose is installed.

  5. Connect the large end of the new water supply hose to the end of the flush valve where the old one was removed. Twist the fitting onto the threaded end of the flush valve evenly to avoid cross-threading. Hand-tighten the fitting, turning clockwise until it is snug.

  6. Attach the other end of the water supply hose to the threaded fitting on the shut-off valve where the old hose was connected. Don't cross-thread the fitting and hand-tighten it. Use an adjustable wrench to tighten the fitting the rest of the way clockwise. Turn on the water supply by turning the knob or handle of the shut-off valve all the way counterclockwise to open and allow the highest volume of water flowing into the tank.