Things You Will Need
- Baking soda
- Aluminum foil
- Glass cooking dish
Silver is one of the most common elements used in flatware and jewelry. If you would like to refine the silver in your home without using an acid-based material, you can do so with little hassle.
Baking soda is one of the most widely used products to bring silver back to it’s proper shine and cleanliness. You don’t have to take your silver to a jewelry shop to have it refined without acid.
You can do it yourself with a few things found around your home.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pot.
- Line a glass cooking dish with aluminum foil.
- Put the silver inside the glass cooking dish on top of the foil.
- Cover the silver with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Pour the boiling water onto the silver. Only pour enough water into the dish so it’s covering the silver.
- Wait for the water to mix with the baking soda. The mixture should smell like rotten eggs.
- Use a fork or spoon to move the silver around in the mixture. Wait 30 minutes for the water to cool and then pull your newly cleaned silver out of the water.
- Use a towel to dry the silver.