What Does the Sleep Button on an Alarm Clock Do?
The sleep button on a clock radio turns on the radio for a set amount of time, usually one hour or less. It is commonly used by people who prefer to go to sleep to music.
Other common features on a clock radio include an alarm, sometimes with the option to wake to the radio, and a snooze button, which causes the alarm to go off at set intervals, often nine minutes, until turned off.
Clock radios with sleep functions allow the user to create white noise by setting the radio to static, or to a talk radio or music station. This is a useful function for people who have trouble getting to sleep without background noise.
Always follow all safety guidelines listed in the user manual for your clock radio to minimize risk of electric shock or other injury.
Denise Howard has been writing since 2004, specializing in home and garden, travel, music and education. A private music instructor and professional accompanist, Howard holds a Bachelor of Arts in music, studying both piano and voice.
- Martin Poole/Photodisc/Getty Images
- How to Remove the Closed Captioning on a Magnavox 27Mt3305/17 TV Without the Original Remote
- How to Reset the Clock on a Kenmore Microwave Oven
- How to Turn a Gas Oven Off
- How Do I Set the Time Zone on a Hammacher Schlemmer Projection Clock?
- How to Clean Japanese Lacquerware
- How to Reset the Timer on an Oven