- Set an oven thermometer on the middle rack inside the oven. Turn the oven on for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. At the end of the 30 minutes, the thermometer should read close to 350 degrees. If it is way off (more than 50 degrees higher or lower), the thermostat is probably defective and must be replaced. Smaller differences can usually be corrected by adjusting the oven's thermostat.
- Remove the temperature knob by gently prying it off with a screwdriver. Depending on what type of oven you have, the temperature adjustment mechanism will either be on the back of the knob or inside the shaft.
- For ovens that adjust on the knob, remove the retaining screws or clips on the adjustment dial. Turn the dial clockwise to lower the temperature and counterclockwise to increase it. Replace the retaining screws or clips to hold the dial on your desired temperature setting.
- If your oven has the temperature adjustment inside the shaft, use a small, flat screwdriver to turn the screw at the bottom of the shaft. Only a small turn of the screw is needed to change the temperature. A quarter turn of the screw usually shifts the temperature by 25 degrees.
- Push the temperature knob back into the shaft and repeat step 1 to re-test the thermostat. Repeat the testing and adjusting process until the oven thermometer matches the temperature set on the oven's dial.
How to Adjust an Oven Thermostat
If you are getting inconsistent results when cooking in your oven, the thermostat may need to be adjusted. Over time, an oven may run hotter or colder than usual. Unless you adjust the thermostat to compensate for the difference, you will be stuck guessing at the correct setting when using your oven. All you need is an oven thermometer and about an hour to test and adjust your oven's thermostat.
Things You Will Need
- How to Replace the Oven Igniter on a Hotpoint Stove
- How to Replace an Oven Ignitor
- How to Clean an Old Gas Stove
- How to Replace a Stove Top
- Instructions for Presto Rice Cooker
- How to Change a Thermistor on a Whirlpool Dryer
- How to Replace Grill Burners
- The Temperatures on a Toaster Oven Vs. Regular Oven
- How To Use an LL Bean Big Ben Alarm Clock
- How to Thaw a Steak in a Toaster Oven
- How to Set the Upper & Lower Thermostats on Dual Element Water Heaters
- How to Change a Thermostat on a Whirlpool Duet Dryer
- How to Turn Off the Lock Light on the Kenmore Elite Electric Cooktop
- How to Cook With Infrared Ovens