How to Remove the Dishwasher Spray Arm in a GE Triton XL
Although it is no longer manufactured, the GE Triton XL dishwasher is still a powerful appliance that can make short work of your dirty dishes. Its features included such innovations as an ExtraClean Sensor and QuietPower III Package, for a noise free kitchen. These dishwashers utilize a spray arm to distribute water at high pressure around the wash tub, cleaning your dishes of food and debris. If you need to perform some repairs on your appliance, such as replacing the motor, you'll first have to remove the dishwasher spray arm on your GE Triton XL.
Turn off the power to the electric circuit that holds the GE Triton XL at the main panel.
Open the dishwasher door. Remove the bottom dishwasher rack.
Locate the dishwasher spray arm hub at the high point in the center of the arm. Look for a thin line that runs around the top; this is the hub cap. Use the edge of a flathead screwdriver to pop off the hub cap. Be careful not to damage the plastic.
Use the socket wrench to remove the bolt in the center of the spray arm hub.
Gently pull the washer spray arm up and off of the spinner assembly.
- If the spray arm is hard to remove--perhaps because you have hard water--add a quarter cup of vinegar to the bottom of the washer. Then do a short load on the highest heat setting with an empty dishwasher. The vinegar and heat can sometimes help to break down calcium deposits that might be causing the arm to stick.
- Always use caution when working around water and electricity.
Nathan McGinty started writing in 1995. He has a Bachelor of Science in communications from the University of Texas at Austin and a Master of Arts in international journalism from City University, London. He has worked in the technology industry for more than 20 years, in positions ranging from tech support to marketing.
- Dishes image by Towards Ithaca from Fotolia.com
- How to Troubleshoot Honeywell Heating Thermostats
- How to Replace a Spray Arm on a Kenmore Dishwasher
- How to Remove the Spout Cap From a Delta Kitchen Faucet
- How to Remove the Front Cover on a Maytag Atlantis
- What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of an Intrusion Detection System?
- How to Dismantle an Osterizer