- Unplug the microwave from the wall outlet to prevent an electrical shock while working on the microwave oven.
- Remove the screws holding the fan shroud to the top of the microwave oven. Using a Phillips-head screwdriver, turn the screws counterclockwise to back them out of the panel. Set the screws in a safe place so they will be available for installing the new fan.
- Slide the fan shroud--also referred to as a damper plate--forward, toward the front of the microwave, to remove it. Set the shroud to the side.
- Lift the fan assembly out of the microwave. An electrical cable and plug is accessible once the fan assembly is out of the way.
- Unplug the electrical connector from the fan and fully remove the fan assembly.
- Set the new fan assembly close to the top of the microwave to facilitate plugging the new fan into the microwave's connector. Plug in the fan assembly.
- Position the new fan in the same orientation as the old fan's before its removal. Lower the fan assembly into position.
- Slide the fan shroud in place and install the screws to secure the shroud.
- Tighten the screws with the Phillips-head screwdriver by turning the clockwise.
- Plug the microwave oven into the wall outlet and test the new fan installation.
Things You Will Need
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Clean the microwave with a kitchen cleaner to remove buildup of grease and oil before servicing the microwave.