How do I Troubleshoot Norcold 838EG2 Refrigerators?
The Thetford Company manufactures Norcold refrigerators for use in homes, RVs, vans and trucks. The 838EG2 refrigerators are part of the company's AC/DC refrigerators for marine use and RV installation. The refrigerators are quiet, relatively easy to install, durable and easy to clean. While use of a Norcold refrigerator should be fairly standard, basic troubleshooting steps may help any potential problems with the unit.
- Ensure the power supply is 120/22/240 VAC or 12/24 VDC power, with AC power as the preferable source. An improper power supply may result in poor performance or lack of cooling by the refrigerator.
- Avoid storing combustible items near the refrigerator, as doing so may decrease cooling ventilation.
- Ensure the unit is plugged in and turned "ON" if it does not seem to be working. Check the fuse, located on the side of the inverter case.
- Turn the temperature control dial if the refrigerator does not seem to be cold or warm enough. Number 1 on the dial is the warmest and number 5 is the coldest. After changing the temperature control dial, leave the refrigerator door closed for several hours to allow the temperature to change.
- Place the thermostat control dial to "3" if the battery seems to be draining excessively or the ambient temperature is between 70 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. If frozen food is stored or ice is being made, change the dial to "5".