- Select a new bulb. Choose a bulb designed for extended life. Be sure it is the proper size and wattage for the outlet.
- Ask for assistance. An extra pair of hands is needed to execute the project safely.
- Set up the ladder. Place the top of the ladder directly under the bulb.
- Climb the ladder to the point where you can safely reach the bulb on flat feet. Have your assistant steady and hold the ladder in place.
- Unscrew the original bulb and replace it with the new bulb.
- Climb slowly and safely back down the ladder and discard the old bulb.
Things You Will Need
- 20-foot free standing or A-frame ladder
- Long-life light bulb
- Home improvement centers offer claw-like extension kits to assist in changing light bulbs in high ceilings without the use of a ladder. These kits do not work with all types of light sockets.