How to Get Rid of Ceiling Mold or Mildew
Molds that cause mildew are microorganisms that have the ability to grow on just about any surface as long as the surface is moist enough. Consequently, these molds most commonly grow in bathrooms and basements. However, these molds can also grow on your ceiling, particularly if there has been a recent water leak. Molds can cause infections, allergies, asthma and other breathing problems, so it is important to get rid of ceiling mold and mildew as soon as possible.
Put on rubber gloves, eye goggles, N-95 respirator mask and clothing that can be laundered immediately following mold removal.
Mix hot water and soap or detergent in a bucket. Make sure that the detergent does not include ammonia.
Clean the mold spots on the ceiling with the mixture using a stiff brush.
Collect any excess liquid with a sponge.
Open all windows in the area. This will help keep the bleach from irritating your lungs.
Mix chlorine bleach and water in a bucket (5 cups water per 1/2 cup bleach).
Wipe down the ceiling with the mixture using a wash cloth.
Things You Will Need
- Rubber gloves
- Eye goggles
- N-95 respirator mask
- Soap or detergent
- Stiff brush
- Chlorine bleach
- Wash cloth
- Prevent future mold growth by keeping humidity levels low (between 30 and 50 percent relative humidity). Keeping humidity levels low can be accomplished through a series of practices, including running an air conditioner or dehumidifier, opening windows, and increasing air circulation.
- If the ceiling is made from extremely porous material, such as drywall, it will be nearly impossible to completely remove the mold and you should consider replacing the ceiling.