- Turn off and unplug your Mr. Coffee FTTX85. Wait for the coffeemaker to cool.
- Fill a sink with hot water and enough mild detergent to make the water sudsy.
- Lift up the coffeemaker lid. Lift out the filter basket. Additionally, remove the thermal carafe.
- Empty the coffee from the carafe down a drain and set the carafe aside. Remove the paper or optional permanent filter from the basket. Dispose of the paper filter and grounds or only the grounds, depending on the filter type.
- Wash the carafe, lid and filter basket in the water with a lint-free cloth, then rinse thoroughly with hot water. If the carafe has stains, fill it with equal parts vinegar and water -- enough to cover the stains -- and wait approximately 20 minutes. Pour out the vinegar and water, and re-clean and rinse carafe thoroughly.
- Set the pieces aside in a dish drainer to air-dry or wipe dry with a cloth.
- Rinse the permanent filter, if applicable, with warm water and set aside.
- Wipe the coffeemaker exterior and warming plate with a slightly damp cloth. If the exterior or warming plate have coffee stains, apply one or two drops of mild detergent to the cloth and wipe away the stains. Rinse thoroughly with a damp cloth and wipe dry.
- Place a paper filter or the permanent filter in the filter basket after it dries. Insert the basket into the unit and return the carafe with lid to the warming plate. Plug the unit in for use the next day.
- Remove the water filtration disk from your unit. Set it aside.
- Pour 4 cups of distilled white vinegar or Mr. Clean Cleaner into the water reservoir. Insert a fresh 10-cup filter or the permanent filter into the filter basket. Close the coffeemaker lid.
- Push and hold the "Select" button until the "Brewing/Cleaning" cycle light turns on. Wait 45 minutes to an hour for the cycle to end. If the coffeemaker is working correctly, it should brew approximately 3 cups, stop for 30 minutes and then continue brewing.
- Empty the carafe and rinse it thoroughly with hot water. Place it back on the warming plate.
- Fill the water reservoir with fresh water.
- Take the filter out of the filter basket. If you're using the paper filter, dispose of it and replace with a fresh filter. If you're using the permanent filter, remove it, rinse it thoroughly with hot water and then return it to the basket.
- Run the cycle again.
- Repeat step 4 though 7 to completely rinse the cleaning solution from the unit.