How Do I Disassemble the Agitator on My Whirlpool Washer?
A Whirlpool washing machine's agitator is the upright plastic piece in the middle of the drum. The agitator turns during the washing cycle, moving soapy water through the clothes for a more effective cleaning. Some Whirlpool agitators have fabric softener dispensers on their caps, which release pre-measured amounts of the softener into the wash at the appropriate time in the cycle. Removing the agitator from the washer will involve disassembling it.
Pull off the fabric softener dispenser on the top of the agitator, if your model has one. Insert a flathead screwdriver under the cap covering the agitator and pull it off. Set the cap aside.
Pull off the rubber gasket and post cap located under the agitator's main plastic cap. This will reveal the bolt holding the agitator in place.
Loosen the bolt at the bottom of the agitator with a socket wrench. Pull the agitator out of the machine's base.
Things You Will Need
- Flathead screwdriver
- Socket wrench
- How to Remove Marking Pen Ink Stains From Fabric
- How to Change the Rollers on a Garage Door
- How to Clean Laundry Stains With WD-40
- How to Remove the Back Filter Cover From a Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- How to Clean Mold & Mildew From a Spa Cover
- Instructions for Magic Chef Rice & Veggie Steamer Model FS1