How to Get a Residential Disabled Curb Sign

Residential disabled parking gives a disabled resident of a home the ability to have reserved parking directly in front of his home. There are many qualifications required for obtaining a disabled resident sign in front of your home. Most cities have an established process that may differ from the process outlined. Consulting your city permit office will ensure you have every specific for your situation. Outlined are general steps a resident will need to meet before he can get the sign placed outside his home.

It is important for disabled people to have close access to their automobiles.

Step 1

Obtain a disabled license plate or disabled placard that hangs from your rearview mirror. You can obtain the permit request from the secretary of state. Your doctor must fill out the disabled license plate permit.

Step 2

Gain permission from the neighbors on either side of your house. For example, in Philadelphia, if your home is less than 20-feet wide, you must obtain permission from the residents on either side of your home.

Step 3

Obtain the permit from your local permit office, parking authority or in the case of Chicago residents, from the Department of Revenue. Fill out the permit with the necessary personal and medical information and mail the request back to the appropriate office. In many cases, you can download the necessary permits from your city or state websites.

Step 4

Include any payment required by law in your area. For example, Chicago charges $70 for the first year and then $25 per yearly renewal.

Things You Will Need

  • Disabled license plate or placard
  • Permit

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images