Protective clothing may not be the best mold and mildew removal product, but clothing is possibly the most important. Cleaning mold or mildew can cause spores to be released. Any contact with the mold or its spores can cause health problems. Always wear an N-95 respirator, waterproof gloves, protective goggles, long sleeves, long pants, shoes and socks when handling or cleaning up mold or mildew.
A wet vacuum, or shop vac, can be used to remove any visible mold from surfaces before it is cleaned. If the surface is dry, dampen the area with a mixture of water and nonammonia soap to prevent spores from spreading around. Do not use wet vacuums on porous materials, such as gypsum board. Thoroughly clean the tank, hoses and all attachments of the wet vacuum after using to remove any mold.
A nonammonia soap or detergent is the most recommended product for removing mold and mildew. Although numerous commercial products are available specifically for removing mold and mildew, regular laundry detergent or dishwashing soap mixed with hot water works just as well according to Hyun-Jeong Lee, an assistant professor with the University of Florida.
Chlorine bleach will kill mold growing on surfaces but does not kill mold spores in the air; don't use it as the primary method of cleaning up mold or mildew. Instead, use it to disinfect surfaces after the mold has been removed. Mix 1 cup of bleach per gallon of water, and wipe the solution across the surface. Using a more concentrated mixture or bleach directly from the bottle will not be more effective at killing mold. Allow the mixture to dry on the object rather than wiping it off.
A vacuum cleaner with a high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter should be used on an item after it has been cleaned, disinfected and dried. Vacuuming will help remove any remaining mold and mold spores. Once you have finished vacuuming, place the filter and its contents in a sealed plastic bag, and dispose of it. Wear protective equipment when handling and disposing of the filter.