How to Display Your Hummel Collectibles
Lovers of the gently themed Hummel figurines looking for a way to get their collection out of the closet and into the limelight to enjoy should look to past when it comes to display. The figurines began production in the 1930s when Franz Goebel was inspired by the drawings of German nun Maria Innocentia Hummel.
The collectible figurines depict children doing everyday tasks to angels, saints and Christmas displays. Honor the history of the figurines when choosing your display.
Choose a location for your display that is not in direct sunlight or under a spotlight. Excess light can contribute to crazing – or cracking – in the finish of the Hummels, reducing their beauty and value. Don’t display Hummels on windowsills or in bathrooms or other damp areas.
Choose sturdy display shelves with deep natural wood finishes to reflect the period of history depicted in the figurines. Look for traditional carved finishes rather than sleek modern shelving. Hang shelves so the figurines are displayed at eye level.
Display Hummel figurines in a corner curio cabinet. A tall curio cabinet that fits into a corner space is ideal for showing off your Hummel collectibles. For example, a lit mahogany curio cabinet with glass shelves highlights your collectibles while keeping them at eye level. An old-fashioned raised curio cabinet with legs, lighting and glass shelves works because the figurines are at eye level and the style is traditional.
Consider a hanging display case designed with Hummels in mind. Ideal for a small or valuable collection, the cases have glass doors to protect the figurines from the elements, while still allowing you to enjoy the beauty of the collection.
Things You Will Need
- Wall shelf
- Corner shelf
- Curio cabinet
- Display case
- Display racks
- Hummel figurines
- However you choose to display your Hummel collectibles, remember the most important tip of all: keep your figurines at eye level.
- A lit corner curio cabinet is an ideal way to display your Hummel collection.
- For an "official" display of your figurines, you can purchase a custom wood display shelf directly from the Hummel website.
- In order to maintain a consistent home decor, don't clash modern room decor with a traditional Hummel display.
- Don't place traditional Hummel figurines on modern
- Don't display Hummels on low shelves where it's hard for people to see them.
- Don't purchase a display case that is too modern looking (e.g., all glass or octagonal).