How to Remove Cigarette Burns From Plastic Vanity Top
Careless cigarette smoking can cause serious damage to surfaces in your home. Placing a burning cigarette on a plastic vanity top can cause scorch marks or even nicotine stains. These are especially visible on a light colored vanity top. Cleaning and removing cigarette burn marks is only possible if the burn hasn't actually melted the plastic. If it has melted the vanity you'll have to replace the top. Removing the burn mark will make the area less noticeable, and if the vanity hasn't melted it will completely remove the blemish.
Add 5 drops liquid dish soap to 1 cup hot water. Mix until the water is sudsy.
Dip a scrubbing brush into the soapy water and scrub the burn stain to remove as much of the discoloration as you can. You may not be able to remove all of it this way.
Add just enough water to 4 tbsp. baking soda to make a paste that is the same consistency as peanut butter.
Spread the paste over the burn mark and let it sit for 20 minutes.
Rub the paste into the burn mark with a water-soaked cloth. This will work the slightly abrasive powder into the counter to remove the rest of the discoloration.
Rinse the area with clear water and let it dry.
Rub the burn mark with superfine sandpaper if it is still visible. Rub lightly until you remove the discoloration. Don't rub too hard as you can wear a hole in the vanity.
- If the burn mark is still visible, cover it with a plastic tray, toiletry bottles or makeup.
Kaye Wagner has been working in the fields of journalism and public relations since 2006 and is a recipient of a National Hearst Award. She is particularly interested in home-and-garden projects, as well as beauty and fashion writing. An avid traveler, she also writes travel reviews and guides. Wagner earned a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from Brigham Young University.
- Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
- How to Get Burns Off of a Suede Couch
- How to Fix Burn Spots on the Inside Door of the Microwave
- How to Remove Chocolate Stains from a Tablecloth
- What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of an Intrusion Detection System?
- How to Remove Yellow Stains From Whites
- How to Get Rid of Scratches on a Kohler Stainless Steel Sink