How to Make a Gazebo
Make an easy-to-assemble gazebo from an eight-column dome kit. The PVC construction requires that the post holes be set in concrete so that the gazebo does not tip over in high winds. UV-rated shade fabric will keep you 10 degrees or more cooler than outside air. Create a door frame along one of the eight sides, and seal the spaces between the posts with a sheet of fine-mesh screen to keep insects at bay.
- Dig eight post holes and insert the posts from the kit into the ground. Backfill with gravel and concrete. Hang a spirit level from a plumb bob. Use it to ensure that the poles are straight. Make sure that a board placed on top of any two posts is level.
- Attach the ribs of the canopy to the posts. Secure with PVC cement and any hardware supplied in the kit by the manufacturer.
- Build a PVC door frame to fit one of the eight spaces between the poles, using 2-inch diameter PVC. Attach it using 1-inch long screws and two butt hinges.
- Attach one 4-foot-6-inch-by-8-foot-6-inch section of fine mesh screen material to the PVC door frame using a staple gun. Attach fine mesh screen to all remaining spaces between posts, and you will not have to avoid love bugs or other annoying insects.
- Stretch the canopy over the PVC frame and attach it to the frame using 1/2-inch wide staples.