How to Troubleshoot the Door Latch on a Maytag Dishwasher
In order to run your Maytag dishwasher you need to be able to lock the door latch securely. The latch must come into contact with the switch in the top of the dishwasher cabinet in order for the dishwasher to turn on. Over time the door latch may malfunction. Rather than calling a repair service right away, you should troubleshoot the latch to your dishwasher door in case the problem is something simple that you can resolve on your own.
Open the door to your Maytag dishwasher. Close the dishwasher door completely and move the latch to lock the door. Press the button to select the cycle you choose. If the latch is not working properly, the dishwasher will not turn on.
Remove all tools from inside the dishwasher. Inspect the top of the dishwasher cabinet where the door touches the dishwasher when it is closed. You should see a switch.
Depress the switch with your finger to make sure it can move. If it is stuck, take the end of a wooden spoon and try to jar it loose.
Close the dishwasher door and try to close the latch again and press the button to turn the dishwasher on. If the dishwasher turns on when you do this, the latch and switch are working. If not, the latch is not making contact with the switch and will need to be repaired.
- Call Maytag Customer Service for more information at: 1-(800) 344-1274 in the U.S, and 1 (800) 688-2002 in Canada.
- Do not insert anything metal into the switch.
JIm Cooper is an attorney and business consultant. He serves on the board of many corporations. He is also a published writer with more than 30 years of experience. Cooper's articles have been published in "American Executive," "Men's Health" magazine, "Newsweek," "Marie Claire" and "Mademoiselle" magazines.
- le kitchen image by sumos from Fotolia.com
- How to Clean The Pump Filter on a GE Front Loading Washing Machine
- How to Troubleshoot a Kenmore Washer Timer
- How to Lock the Oven Door in a Whirlpool Super Capacity 465
- My Jenn Air JDB1100AWS Dishwasher Won't Start
- How to Unlock Door the Door on a GE Washer Model WBVH5100HWW
- My Frigidaire Dishwasher Stopped Mid-Cycle