How to Remove the Lower Arm on a Maytag Dishwasher
When your Maytag dishwasher is not cleaning as effectively as it should, it is time to inspect the lower arm, filters and pump. The lower arm sits over the top of the filter mesh and the pump housing. Making repairs to these parts require removing the lower arm from the Maytag dishwasher. The lower arm mounts to the pump housing using either a single-threaded bolt or a center coupling that pulls straight out under a threaded center cap.
- Turn off the circuit breaker to the Maytag dishwasher. Although you are not working directly with any electrical components, it is a safe practice to remove electrical current from the appliance.
- Open the Maytag dishwasher door and pull out the lower rack. Most Maytag bottom racks simply pull out by hand. The upper rack does not require removal.
- Wipe the top of the lower arm off with a rag. Find the nut or cap in the top center of the spray arm.
- Lift the lower arm up slightly with one hand to apply pressure to the center bolt if your lower arm uses a bolt. Turn the bolt counterclockwise with a socket wrench and remove it from the lower arm. Pull the lower arm straight up and out of the dishwasher.
- If your Maytag dishwasher's lower arm is attached with a center coupling rather than a bolt, hold the lower arm with one hand and grasp the center of the center cap with a pair of slip joint pliers. Turn the cap counterclockwise with the slip joint pliers until you can turn it by hand. Spin the cap off with your fingers and lift the lower arm out of the dishwasher.
Things You Will Need
- Socket wrench
- Slip joint pliers
- Pour some white vinegar on the bolt or center cap if there is sediment buildup. Allow the vinegar to penetrate through the buildup before attempting to remove the lower arm.
- How to Clean Ink Off Leather
- How to Keep a Dishwasher From Tilting Forward When the Door Is Opened
- How to Remove Hard Water Deposits in Teapots
- How to Replace the Agitator on a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II Washing Machine
- How to Replace a Whirlpool Dishwasher Soap Dispenser
- My Kenmore Stacked Washing Machine Won't Drain or Spin