The SkyLink corporation's G5KC keyless entry system can be used to open most garage doors produced before 2008. The G5KC supports most major brands, including Chamberlain, Sears, Genie, Lift-Master, Wayne Dalton, Master Mechanic, SkyLink, as well as several other brands.
In order to reset your G5KC for use with a new garage door opener, you'll need to set the frequency switch, jumpers and DIP switches to match your garage door's original settings. You'll also need to program the code for opening your garage door.
- Download the G5KC keyless entry programming manual (see Resources for a link). You'll need this manual to determine the specifications that you'll need to reset the G5KC for use with your brand of garage door.
- Locate your brand of garage door opener on Chart 1b, located on the first page of the manual.
- Flip the frequency switch on your G5KC transmitter to the position that is specified on the chart. "A" is the first position from the left, "B" is the second, "C" is the third and "D" is the position to the far right of the transmitter.
- Locate your brand of garage door opener on the Jumpers Setting Chart, shown in the upper-right corner of the first page of the G5KC instruction manual.
- Set the jumpers on your G5KC according to the settings on the jumper chart in the manual. The jumpers are located directly above the G5KC's 12 DIP switches. Place the jumper on the top two pins for the "+" setting, the bottom two pins for the "-" setting, and remove the jumper entirely for the "0" setting.
- Set the G5KC's DIP switches, if your original garage door opener was equipped with DIP switches. Use a pen to flip the DIP switches to the same position as the DIP switches on the remote that you are duplicating. If your original remote has fewer than 12 DIP switches, set the remaining switches down to the "-" position.
- Press the "Learn" button located on your garage door opener's ceiling unit, if it does not come equipped with DIP switches. For help locating the "Learn" button on your model of garage door opener, refer to your user's manual. The light next to the "Learn" button will go off. You may skip this step if you have already set your unit's DIP switches.
- Input the four digit code for opening your garage door opener on the GK5C's keypad. Press the "#" key when done.
- Press the "Open" button on your G5KC to open your garage door. If the door does not open, reverse the position of all DIP switches and try again.