How to Use a Roaster Oven Buffet Server
The buffet server that comes with some models of electric roaster ovens are a quick and easy way to serve foods buffet style for parties or family gatherings. While the buffet server cannot be used for cooking foods, it is a simple way to keep hot foods hot and safe for serving and eating. The buffet server can keep vegetable hot and ready or can keep that cheese dip at the perfect dipping temperature.
Fill the removable pan of the roaster oven 1/2 to 3/4 full of water.
Assemble the buffet server over the roaster oven according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Place the roaster oven lid over the top of the buffet server. Set the temperature on the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and allow the oven to pre-heat for 30 minutes.
Turn the heat on the oven thermostat down to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Fill the buffet trays with hot food.
Stir the food occasionally, every thirty minutes or so, in order to keep food from sticking and keep the lid on the buffet when not in use.
- Check the water level every hour and add more water if needed to keep the level at half full.
- Spray the interior of the buffet serving trays with non-stick spray if the foods to be served are likely to stick.
- Allow the serving dishes and the frame to cool completely before washing. Both the frame and the dishes can be washed by hand or in the dishwasher.
- Always place the water in the roasting pan liner and not in the oven itself.
- The USDA recommends that hot foods be kept at 140 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer. By keeping the oven thermostat set at 250 degrees Fahrenheit, while the food is being served, will insure that bacteria cannot grow.