How to Replace an Oreck Roller Brush
The roller brush in an Oreck sweeps dirt and debris up and into the vacuum cleaner. Brush bristles wear down over time, and the roller itself can become damaged, keeping the vacuum from doing its best work. Replace the roller brush in your Oreck upright vacuum cleaner with just one tool and about five minutes of your time.
Turn off your Oreck and unplug it from the outlet. Flip the vacuum cleaner over to access its bottom cover.
Remove the five screws -- three in the front, two in the back -- holding the cover in place using a Phillips-head screwdriver. Lift the cover off the vacuum cleaner and set it aside.
Grasp the belt around the roller brush with your hand and pull it to the side, freeing the roller brush. Lift the roller brush out of the Oreck.
Examine the replacement roller brush for the words "new" and "old." The words are on the black tab near each end of the roller brush. Position the roller brush so that "new" is on top and insert it into the vacuum cleaner where the previous roller brush had been.
Grasp the belt and slide it forward, wrapping it around the replacement roller brush.
Place the cover back on your Oreck and reattach with the five screws.
- Two replacement roller brushes are available for Oreck upright vacuum cleaners, each one specific to certain models. Look for the replacement roller brush for the Oreck XL Platinum and XL21 or the replacement roller brush for the 2000, 9000 and 3000 series XL, matching the part to your particular model.
- An improperly installed roller brush can damage your flooring.
Pamela Mitchell has more than 15 years of journalism experience. She has served as a writer and editor on staff at the "Hartford Courant," "Houston Chronicle" and "Village Voice Media." Mitchell holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from Central Connecticut State University.
- How to Remove the Back Filter Cover From a Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- How to Change the Belt on a Fantom Fury Vacuum
- How to Remove the Brush on a Dyson DC14
- How to Remove the Front Cover on a Maytag Atlantis
- How to Change the Belt in a Eureka Powerline Plus Vacuum
- How to Disassemble the Roller Brush From the Dyson DC28 Vacuum