How to Change a Kenmore Icemaker Filter
Kenmore refrigerators with a built-in icemaker use a filter to clean the water for fresh-tasting ice. Changing the filter every six months helps the system operate at peak performance, according to Whirlpool, which manufactures the Kenmore line of refrigerators sold at Sears. If you own a Whirlpool with an automatic icemaker, changing your water filter involves the same procedure as the Kenmore. Replacing the filter takes only a few minutes without any tools or technical skills.
Press the button on the bottom grille of the Kenmore to the left of the round water filter, which fits horizontally into the appliance. The filter pops out slightly.
Twist the filter cartridge counterclockwise and pull it out of the refrigerator. Unscrew the black cap from the top of the filter cartridge.
Remove the new cartridge from the packaging and pull off the red cap at each end.
Screw the black cap onto the new filter cartridge and insert in the Kenmore. Twist one-quarter turn clockwise and press until the new filter clicks into place.
Flush the Kenmore by running water through the dispenser into a drinking glass. Empty the glass and repeat for at least four minutes to remove air bubbles and clear the lines.
- Empty your icemaker bin to make fresh ice after replacing the Kenmore water filter. This forces the icemaker to run another cycle, helping to keep the water lines clear.
James Clark began his career in 1985. He has written about electronics, appliance repair and outdoor topics for a variety of publications and websites. He has more than four years of experience in appliance and electrical repairs. Clark holds a bachelor's degree in political science.
- How do I Dismount a Black and Decker SpaceMaker Coffeemaker ODC440B?
- How to Remove an Amana Refrigerator Freezer Drawer
- How to Attach a Water Line to a GE Refrigerator
- How to Reactivate a Charcoal Filter
- Removing the Front Vent Cover on a Kenmore Refrigerator
- How to Reset a Refrigerator's Defrost Control on a GE Monogram